The Guard is a novella in The Selection Series that is in Aspen Leger's POV and takes place during The Elite. It was released on February 4, 2014, in ebook form before The One and on the same day as the paperback version of The Selection Stories: The Prince and The Guard. It was also bind up in Happily Ever After on October 13, 2015, with The Queen, The Favorite, an extended version of The Prince, three scenes in Celeste's POV and more.
Before she entered the Selection . . .
She was in love with a boy named Aspen Leger.
- Aspen Leger
- America Singer
- Maxon Schreave
- King Clarkson
- Queen Amberly
- Marlee Tames
- Carter Woodwork
- Celeste Newsome
- Mr. Newsome and Mrs. Newsome
- Kriss Ambers
- Shalom Singer
- Magda Singer
- May Singer
- Lucy's father
- There weren't words wide enough to hold what I felt for her. — Aspen Leger about his love for America Singer
- I felt it. Those threads that bound us together were still there. Perhaps they had frayed from the strain of the Selection, but they were holding. — Aspen Leger
- "Any girl who would risk her life for someone she loves certainly deserves to be called a lady." — Lucy
- “Underneath whatever uniform they put on me, I’m still a kid from Carolina, and that’s not going away.” — Aspen Leger to Lucy's father
- While the Selection had frayed the line between America and me, Maxon himself was a sharp edge, capable of cutting the string entirely if he got too close. — Aspen Leger
- Maybe it wasn’t my place, but I felt certain the king could demolish Maxon if he had the inclination. I didn’t want the guy to die. — Aspen Leger about Prince Maxon
- The first two chapters of The One can be read in The Guard.
- There are sixty-four pages in The Guard.